Edit: Hen passed. Necropsy help? Hen lethargic, pale comb

irradiatedsnakes

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2018
A black orpington hen of mine, Prentiss, has been acting weird the past day. She's fairly lethargic- she's definitely awake, her eyes are open, but she doesn't want to move, even when I go to pick her up (she usually hates being anywhere near me). She can stand and walk a little, but doesn't want to do so for long, and doesn't have good balance while standing (will drift to the side and catch herself before falling). She's a bit less than a year old. Her crop feels normal- squishy/not hard and partially full. Her vent looks clean. I haven't seen her poop yet since isolating her (was only about an hour ago), will update with what that looks like. Her comb is a paleish pink.
I put her in isolation and gave her a water dish and some oats. I haven't seen her drink or eat but I also haven't been watching her the entire time. If anyone has ideas on what might be wrong (or if there's any more things i should be looking at to determine what's wrong) I would love to hear it. Thank you.

Can you bring her inside where it's warm? 80-85 degrees is ideal.
I'll go ahead and bring her in. I can't get it up to 80, though. It's about 73 in here.
If it helps diagnosis or anything, here's a picture of her poop and of her currently.
image0.jpg
image1.jpg

Went out to bring her in just a minute after sending my last reply, and she's dead. I don't know what happened. I guess I'll try doing a necropsy, to see if it's soemthing contagious that I need to worry about the rest catching? If anybody knows particular things i should be looking out for while doing that, I'd be grateful to hear.

A black orpington hen of mine, Prentiss, has been acting weird the past day. She's fairly lethargic- she's definitely awake, her eyes are open, but she doesn't want to move, even when I go to pick her up (she usually hates being anywhere near me). She can stand and walk a little, but doesn't want to do so for long, and doesn't have good balance while standing (will drift to the side and catch herself before falling). She's a bit less than a year old. Her crop feels normal- squishy/not hard and partially full. Her vent looks clean. I haven't seen her poop yet since isolating her (was only about an hour ago), will update with what that looks like. Her comb is a paleish pink.
I put her in isolation and gave her a water dish and some oats. I haven't seen her drink or eat but I also haven't been watching her the entire time. If anyone has ideas on what might be wrong (or if there's any more things i should be looking at to determine what's wrong) I would love to hear it. Thank you.
I think she has!!!

Egg yolk peritonitis!!​

I would open the abdomen, and look for any yellow fluid coming out, which would indicate ascites or water belly. Egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, or liver failure can cause the yellow urates in the droppings. If you do a necropsy, take pictures of the organs and post here for opinions. Sorry for your loss.

(WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES TO FOLLOW)
I did my best at cutting open the abdominal and chest cavities. Sorry if these pictures are unhelpful, this is my first time doing soemthing like this to a chicken (I cut animals open plenty, but that's generally just skinning them, not delving into the innards). There wasn't any yellow fluid that I saw, but there was a lot of reddish-clear stuff. Also, found an egg- a whole, regular looking egg. If that's anything of note.
Also, is this a usual amount of fat? I swear we don't feed them anything unusual (just layer feed, plus supplementary stuff like oats, fruits and veggies, mealworms for treats and the occasional bread) but this seems like a LOT of fat, a solid centimeter surrounding the abdominal cavity, and tons along the whole of the small intestine. But again, I haven't cut chickens like this open before, I wouldn't know.
Thanks to everyone whose replied and helped with this so far.
image4.jpg
image5.jpg
image0.jpg

image0.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom