1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen lethargic, panting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcclucker, Apr 18, 2017.

1. mcclucker

mcclucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    I have a 9 month old EE hen who all of a sudden won't move, is squatting with tail down and panting.

I've felt her all over, don't feel any obvious mass or egg stuck. She laid a perfect egg yesterday. She is semi free range (supervised) so I guess she could have eaten something bad for her. Earlier this afternoon she seemed to be fine, by evening panting and lethargic.

I gave her electrolyte water by syringe (she drank), made a cooked oatmeal and chick starter mash, soaked her rear end in warm water and put her in the hospital pen with a chick heating pad.

Ideas what could be wrong? She's wheezing a bit but no discharge at all. More like fast panting breathing wheezing. She let me carry her in the house and hold her in a towel on the couch - no way would she ever do that if she weren't so sick :(

I did clear out their coop yesterday - lots of dust. I let it all settle before they went in for the night and it's well ventilated.

2. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    Update - she did lay today, I just found it. So not eggbound. But she's doing really poorly. I don't think she will make it :(

3. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    She just died. That was so fast :(

I wish I knew what it was but I know I'll probably never know.

4. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    You could save her body and have a necropsy done to find out for sure what happened.
    Instructions for properly saving are at the beginning of this post, and you can scroll down to your state to find contact information:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

5. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    We already buried her deep on the property. :( Do I need to report the death anywhere? I'm new to chickens obviously - this is our first loss.

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    First, I'm very sorry for your loss. I meant to say that in my first post, but was in a hurry [​IMG] and forgot.
    You do not need to report the death.
    A necropsy is for your info, so you don't have unanswered questions and know if it is something that can effect the rest of your flock or not.
    You can also learn to do it yourself and look for obvious abnormalities in organs etc., but there would just not be any pathology report, but many people find that hard to do when it's a pet. Depends on what you feel comfortable with.
    Unfortunately there are many things that can go wrong and sometimes a necropsy is the only way to find out for sure.

7. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    That's ok. My kiddo took it pretty badly. I keep thinking I did something wrong.

But it's too late to necropsy this one. The rest of the flock seems perfectly happy and healthy today but I'm keeping a close eye on them. Red combs, laying, eating, mad I won't let them out into the yard (maybe the one that died ate something out there? I'm not taking chances right now until I have a good look around).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by