Hen lethargic, thin and not responding to medications

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaciB, Nov 15, 2013.

1. LaciB

LaciB New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    I have a black Australorp hen, approx 8 months old. I noticed her activity had declined significantly over the past month but (as a novice chicken keeper) attritibuted it to broodiness as she would "sit" in the yard while the other hens would run around. She used to be my largest and heaviest chicken but when I finally picked her up to check her out, I noticed she has lost a lot of weight and is rather bony. Her combs and wattles are also much duller than they used to be. I have had her in isolation for the last week or so. I have given her a 7 day course of Tetracycline and de-wormed her with Piperazine (both at the suggestion of a livestock store employee), but she has had minimal improvement. Her droppings vary. Some are watery, some look dark and long (almost like cat droppings). I have been giving her a high calorie diet, her appetite seems moderate. None of my other hens seem to be affected by it. Any suggestions?

2. LaciB

LaciB New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Also, she has completely stopped laying. I'm not sure how long long she hasn't been laying unfortunately.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Worms can be a sign of what you are describing, but unfortunately piperazine will only get the roundworms. I would purchase Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer, and retreat her in 10 days. I would also give her vitamins and probiotics in her water for a few weeks. Check her crop to see that it is empty be morning--if not a crop problem could be there. Check her vent area and all over for mites since they can kill a hen eventually form blood loss, and one mite only comes out at night, so you may need to check then with a flashlight. Check her vent for vent gleet, a fungal infection which causes a messy bottom, and whitish patches. She also could suffer from an internal laying issue.

4. LaciB

LaciB New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Update: I went out to check on her this evening and she had passed away. Brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for your help anyway.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by