Hen lethargic with bleeding vent, clear discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fargosmom, Jun 21, 2010.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Lucy seemed like herself this morning when I was cleaning, but this afternoon when I let her and the others free-range in our backyard I noticed she was standing very still, eyes mostly closed, and when I picked her up she didn't protest at all; I found a small amount of blood coming from her vent. I cleaned her up and checked her over - she was content to be held and closed her eyes; not like herself at all. When I finally put her down she was very still; I wound up putting her on the roost to keep her away from the other 3 hens. Here's the particulars:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - BR, 1 1/2 years; normal? weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. lethargic; very still; standing erect with tail up; vent pulsing
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I only noticed late this afternoon
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Small amount of blood from vent, followed by clear discharge
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She has been laying thin-shelled eggs on and off
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. layer pellets; free choice oyster shell; mixed greens & vegs
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. don't know - I haven't seen her poop since I discovered this
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I washed the area around her vent (there were a bunch of fresh blood clots caught in the feathers)
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd prefer to treat her myself if I can (depending on what needs to be done)
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. too late in the day to get any photos
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use fresh pine shavings in the house; sand in the run

My suspicion is that an egg broke inside her - but I think this is a first occurrence - is she likely to recover on her own? I don't know what more I can do to get her to consume enough calcium since there's already plenty of oyster shell along with the layer feed - the other 3 hens have been laying eggs with normal shells.

Hope someone can offer some insight - I hate the thought that she's in pain . . .

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you may be on the right track. Unfortunately, when a hen starts showing laying problems (soft shells, no shells, no eggs at all) it sort of becomes a pattern of problems that, quite frankly, seldom turns out well. While you may be able to get her through this crisis, there are quite often more to come in the future. If you prefer to try to help her through this, here's a thread that may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=228426

3. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks - that's what I suspected. Yesterday there was no prolapse to be seen, just the bleeding and discharge. I'm on my way out to check her now; we'll see how she got through the night.

4. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    She's pretty much the same . . . runny discharge from her vent and very inactive. She had moved to a different roost, and showed only a little interest in food - not her usual appetite. I got her to eat some yogurt but I think that's all - she mostly pecked at the other stuff and then moved away. Is it likely she's in pain? Should I start making plans to euthanize her . . . or is it something she could still pull through? At this point she's been this way at least 16 hours. If it's true that she may wind up going through this again I'd rather spare her the future suffering.

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

6. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Well it's a miracle! At least for now . . . this morning she was listless and uninterested in eating; came home from work and she's pretty much her old self! She's competing for sunflower seeds, clucking and generally acting like a chicken again. We got two eggs today but I don't really think either one is hers (her bum is too messy still and these babies are clean) but something changed. I'll keep an eye on her the next few days and keep trying to get more calcium into her, and we'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed this was some weird one-time thing.
    Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by