Hen limping and bloody leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theireton, Mar 18, 2015.

1. theireton

theireton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Last night I saw my hens sleeping outside the coop (I have 5). It was weird because they never do that, and I couldn't figure out why. I picked them all back up and moved them in and they would come back out and lay back down. This morning I found my RIR laying and not getting up. When I came close she got up to walk but was favoring one foot and limping pretty bad. I picked her up and didn't see anything. This afternoon I went back out to check on her and picked her up to check her out and noticed blood and saw what appeared to be a cut or wound.

This is my first experience with any type of injury with a chicken. What should I do?

[​IMG]

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Hard to tell from just a picture. Is the bone broken or just appear to be cut? Is the wound higher in the flesh area or just there on the hock? I would gently clean the area and apply antibiotic cream to the area. Then put her in a semi dark area, maybe a dog crate if you have one, and let her rest. Chickens try to hide illness and injury from others so they don't get picked on. So, remove her from the stress of that situation and let her heal a few days in a safe enviroment. Keep food and water in front of her, may need some goodies to tempt her appetite, then evaluate in a few days to see if she is able to move a bit better, Hoping nothing is broken, because I don't have much experience in splinting a chickens leg.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be that some predator may have been getting into the coop, or some other reason for avoiding the coop such as mites. Was she injured outside or inside? Rats can injure chickens, but she could have cut it on a nail or sharp piece of metal. As was previously posted, clean the leg with antiseptic soap or even an epsom salt soak, and apply plain Neosporin or even betadine to the wound. Blukote or iodine would hide the wound when you put her back with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by