Hen limping, and getting worse....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by savingpurple, Aug 5, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    My hen is really favoring one leg over the other, and when she tries to run, she only uses one leg, as if to hop. I have checked her out, and have no clue what to look for, but have felt the good leg, and the bad leg, and feel no difference. See nothing either.

Now I have to admit, I stepped backwards the other morning, and didn't realize a hen was behind me, and accidently stepped on some toes...maybe hers...have no clue it was dark.

I have been watching them closely, and have see her favor the one leg, and then she seemed okay. Now still gettiing to know them, and don't know if the one that was limping, is the same one, since she seemed okay????

Is there more to look for, feel for? Pain meds? any help advice, is welcome.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Well I think you're gonna have to wait and see. You could get a little bit of plain aspirin down her. No more than a quarter at a time. You could crush it and put it in something delicious she would eat. Usually something like that may take a few days for some improvement. I've had a hen who was getting mounted and picked on horribly and she had a limp from all the abuse. It cleared up after maybe 4-5 days of extra vigilent supervision. Give her lots of extra goodies like bits of grapes, tomatos and some crushed hardboiled egg yolk. She needs to feel hopeful. You know, TLC really does make a difference in their spirits!

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Also, don't let her be in a situation where she has to do any jumping or running from the others. If she wants to get out, that's probably fine. She can do as much as she feels like doing. She'll feel a little better with some aspirin in her.

4. jsnnlaynes

jsnnlaynes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    I had the same problem. I also had a roster limping. I really think it came from them running out of the coop, and stubbin their toe. I have a board at about 45 degree slant, with runners. I really believe they slid down and caught a runner. So i raised it 6 inches and no problems. My hen Pearly, i put her by herself for a month. She now wants out all the time. Just like a dog. She feels she special. Good luck!

5. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Got some (1/4) aspirin down NO problenm with some soft banana..[​IMG] It was a little bit outdated, but figured it was worth a try [​IMG]

I will watch, because there are two that I am assuming, in my early learning, that are low on the pecking order, and they are the last to go in at night, and the last to go out in the morning. One of them, always has to fly down. Maybe she tried to land on the new roost we added and hit her leg??

These two are special [​IMG]

THANKS as always.....any other advice or help is always welcome for a newbie !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by