1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen limping badly laying on side

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyLovesBugs, Dec 31, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    As I was at my friends today I noticed one of her hens just laying sideways on the ground, I watched her limp across the coop then lay down again. She didn't care about her so I offered to take her home and take care of her. After examining her I notice no splinters or cuts on her foot, she doesn't have bumblefoot. If I lay her on her back and hold up her leg then let go it just falls sideways in an unnormal way. Is it broken?She is almost 48 weeks old. Right now she is seperated from the flock in a cage in my room.

Thank you so much!

Update: She is eating and drinking and her feces looked normal. She is switching postions in her cage while she is laying down, but she can't stand up. I have felt her leg and I can't find anything abnormal sticking out or cuts on her leg. Her leg will just kind of flop over sideways. She can't put weight on it, she tries but she falls over. Does this mean her leg is broken? Or possibly dislocated? If it is indeed broken should I make a splint?

Update #2: Looking at her leg again I discovered that around her ankle (wish I knew what that was called) it is gray almost black right there! Any ideas what this could be?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep her isolated from your other chickens and exercise strict quarantine. Hopefully it is an injury that she can heal from, but I fear the possibility of some infectious entity.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    i don't know about healing the leg but i would offer her plain yogurt in a small dish close to her face so she can eat easily (you may have to hold it for her). you also might try warm oatmeal. Good luck and I hope someone else can help you with the leg.[​IMG]

4. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    Thank you! I will try to get her to eat, it is like she has no feeling in that leg it just keeps flopping. Thank you again both of you!

5. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    She is eating a drinking plenty she seems energetic but she just can't stand up she will try to but as soon as she put weight on the leg she falls over. I'm not sure if I should make a splint for her or what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by