Hen limping for 3 weeks...no new signs = Marek's ruled out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StPaulieGirls, Mar 11, 2017.

1. StPaulieGirls

StPaulieGirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Hi folks,

We took in a stray hen in bad shape. Nursed her and her buddy to good health, then three weeks ago this one hen developed a serious limp - what I'm describing as flaccid paralysis of her foot/leg.

So, three weeks have passed and she's eating well, looking bright, but still limping. I'd say the limp has improved but I still don't ever see her flex the toes of that foot.

At this point, given that there's no no signs/symptoms developing, would you say that it's likely NOT Marek's? I had also suspected Botulism but it may have been an injury.

These two hens have been in quarantine for about 6 weeks now, and if we can reasonably integrate them into our existing flock, we'd like to move forward with that. (Our biosecurity has not been great, as it's a small urban yard).

Thanks for any advice!

- Kerri in Oakland, CA

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    If it was Mareks she would likely be dead by now. I've always heard, once it starts, it kills quickly. I would try some vitamin therapy in their water. I have a limpy hen, shes been that way a year now, but her toes work fine. So, not sure what it could be with yours, but it sounds neurological if the toes won't flex.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by