1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen limping on left foot - Mareks ????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GermanChick, Dec 18, 2010.

1. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    My 8 month old Easter Egger Goldie is limping on her left foot. Just noticed it today. Could it be Mareks? The others are not pecking on here and she is running around eating and drinking so I am not isolating her. If it is Mareks then isolating wouldn't be much of a help, because of incubation time all of them would have it, right ??? I checked her feet and they look normal, no obvious injury and her eyes, comb everything else looks fine. How long should I wait ...... I am just afraid that it might be Mareks and I have to cull her or my entire flock is infected !!! HELP, don't know what to do.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If you looked on the bottom of her left foot and didnt see a round dark in color scab, that eliminates bumblefoot. Since she's eating and drinking normally, I suspect she somehow sprained her leg by jumping down from a roost or some other high place. You can seperate her and put her in a cage for some rest and relaxation, giving time for her leg to heal for about 5-7 days. Provide her with feed and freshwater while she's caged. Good luck.

3. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Ok, now that you mentioned it there was a tiny black spot on her left foot, but on her right one there where several blackish/darker spots so I didn't pay much attention to it. But on the left foot where she is limping it is right in the middle, I have to check it out tomorrow since it is dark now and no light in the coop. Maybe it is "just" bumblefoot. Have to do more reading on how to treat it. If it is Bumblefoot then it is really a early stage because there is no swelling.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It could be the cause of her limping. I've had hens limp with no swelling and have removed pus from the hole after soaking and removing the scab. Like you said, I recommend you read up on bumblefoot and how to do the minor surgery...there's plenty of excellent info on it here. Take care.

5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Might be frost bite too?
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by