Hen limping/sore leg. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guinea fowl galore, Jul 16, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    My show quality light Sussex girl has had a sore leg for about a week now. And she has just slowly been getting worse. I know I should seperate her but I won't have any available pens untill I kill some roosters, which I have been avoiding. The problems with where she is now is that she is in with a rooster and there are two levels in the coop with the outside being about a meter lower. And the chookies like to jump to the ground from the pop door rather then using the ramp. I am worried that she will hurt the other leg hopping around because she is such heavy bird.
    What should I do? Is there something I can give her or put on her leg? I feel so bad.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

It's getting late here in the US, all I can suggest is to put her in a dog crate? I hope someone with a better answer comes along soon. [​IMG]

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I would keep her separate in a crate where she can rest. And 1/2 baby aspirin for the pain and swelling. I have also used regular aspirin, but no tylenol or aleve. good luck!

4. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    What sort of dog crates does everybody mean?
    And I've been thinking all night about how I could rearrange the other chickens so I have a spare coop. It would be pretty big, about 1 meter x 2 1/2 meters. The space is the inside part of a coop with a run, so I'll kick the chickens that currently live there out of the coop ( which they hardly go in anyway )put the broody that's in there in a dog crate and close the pop door. Does it matter if it is fairly dark in there for her? And Should she have a friend in with her?

5. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

since it is an injury and not an infection a companion would be ok, as long as they dont chase her around. IMO [​IMG]

6. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Oh no, not again, I would keep mine separate like I did with my chicken Speckles, Everyday I would put her on the ground and let her pick at some grass. I guess all you can do it hope, the pens can be to crowded some times and roosters can hurt them when trying to mate.

Thats my guess how many chickens do you have now?

7. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Love your profile picture [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by