Hen listless and not eating much, what can I try to convince her to eat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by javaman661, Mar 9, 2012.

1. javaman661

javaman661 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    Middleburg
    Not too much of an emergency, just trying to figure out exactly what to do. The hen is an orpington, a couple years old. She recently got an injury on her wing- about a month ago now. Was on the front of her wing, dollar coin sized. I worried about her for a while because she wouldnt stop picking at it, but it eventually formed a nice scab, and she left it alone. She seemed to be doing fine, but she didnt much want to come out, and when she did, it was just to stand in the yard, all hunched up and staring at nothing.

I separated her out into a small kennel, with shade, a house, food water, and scratch. The scab fell off today from her injury, and it looks nice and healed over, but she still wont walk around or eat. Tried giving her boiled egg, and she will eat a bit, same with some tomato. She pooped, but it all just water mostly.

The only thing I can think of is an infection of some sort? Any idea what might be wrong, or what I can try to give her to entice her to eat? Thanks for any suggestions, just don't want to lose her after she's fought through all of this. Oh, and I think the wound is from a fox/possum, lost most of my silkies to the same predator, but havent lost any more since we fort nox-ed the yard.

2. javaman661

Mar 3, 2008
    Middleburg
    Another thing! When I did watch her walk around, befoere she was separated, she walked, but very clumsily, tripping on herself and almost falling down in the process. And she moved very slow too. Thanks again.

3. LooneyGoonie

LooneyGoonie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    When my birds act that way, I usually separate them from the flock and give them a broad spectrum antibiotic, like Terramycin, because when they're droopy like that they often have some kind of infection. Can't help you out on what it might be, just advice on what I do to my flock. Good Luck!

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Has she ever been wormed... And with what? Often mites , worms or an infection can cause them to lose weight, become weak and go off food.....

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Also check for a stuck egg if she's old enough to lay..... Feel between her legs to her vent for a firm egg shape.

6. javaman661

Mar 3, 2008
    Middleburg
    Thanks for all the advice! I have her separated, but I don't think she's going to make it sadly. She was drinking still as of yesterday, but not eating too good. Now, she won't eat or drink, or even oper her eyes. I never had her wormed or anything, that I know of. my flock are just an eclectic mix of other backyard breeders and some feed store chicks, so I doubt they ever got any vaccinations of the sort.

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Unless you get her on an antibiotic NOW - my preference is penicillin - she is going to die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by