Hen loosing back feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lostroger, Dec 9, 2010.

1. lostroger

lostroger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Louisville Ky
    Have 31 RIR hens, 1 1/2 years old, 2 roosters. One of my hens has lost back feathers down to her tail about a 4" square area. Looks like it has some small scabs skin on the spot. She is healthy otherwise and no other chickens have been infected. Shes had this for 4 or 5 months.

Tried some fungus spray for pets I had around here, didn't help

Roger [email protected]

2. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Mine looked like that from a rooster. Think one of your Roo's is being a little too rough?

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Your hen/roo ratio sounds nice and loose, so it sounds like she's Favorite Wife . . . [​IMG] Perhaps a chicken apron is in order. (You could also spray some Blue-Kote on her back. It is an antibacterial/antifungal, and it will camouflage the bare skin until she can heal.

You might pull up a chair, have a cup of coffee (weather permitting) and watch your flock's interactions. Very eye opening . . . and relaxing! [​IMG] It may give you some clues as to whether your hen is being abused or just loved too much.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you find!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yep...I agree with Jenski. Sounds like she's the object of some rooster's fancy. Chicken aprons/saddles are quite reasonable, and can be found here on BYC (check the auctions). Give that poor girl some protection!

5. apmomma

apmomma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    My roo has also caused this on a few of my hens and it does not look good...my question, now that the roo is out of the picture will the feathers grow back? excuse my ignorance and thank you in advance!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:They should grow back just fine, although with normal molting activity and such it may be early spring before they look back to "normal."

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I agree with the others. Visually inspect her for lice/mites just in case.

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Welcome, Roger!

I agree with the other posters - she's probably the favorite hen. You might also try trimming or removing your roos' spurs. I use aprons on my girls. Some of them like them, some don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by