hen losing feathers around face and neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urbanchicken, Jan 9, 2010.

1. urbanchicken

urbanchicken New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    We are new to raising chickens and, out of 5 chickens (all hens), we have one who is losing her feathers around her face and neck. We have always noticed this particular hen to be lowest in pecking order, but generally seems to get along with the others. Is she getting pecked or could she have mites of some kind? The rest of her body and the rest of the flock all look healthy.

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    How old is the hen and can you post a picture?

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    HOw old is she? is she still laying. im thinking moulting

4. urbanchicken

urbanchicken New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    Our hens were born on June 21, 2009. I will post picture soon.

5. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    are her eyes still bright and alert? has the color of her waddle faded? is she still acting her normal self other than having the missing feathers? and is it bloody?

6. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    One of our red sex link hens went through the same thing last month--after I thought she had completed molting. Over a couple weeks' time, she went "naked neck," then shafts developed, then feathers began growing from the shafts, and now she's fully clothed again. This all happened when our weather was sinking into the subfreezing range and I was worried sick about her, but she came through with beautiful new feathering. Give yours time. ~G

7. urbanchicken

urbanchicken New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    she seems to be acting normal. eyes are bright, face not bloody. We live in an area where it is sub-freezing right now. Just today I noticed another hen losing feathers in a pattern like a ring around her neck. I'm worried.

8. Yur Dixie Chk

Yur Dixie Chk New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Hi wanted to know if you ever got over your feather loss?? I'm kinda going thru it now myself and like you its the cooler season

9. vanderlander

vanderlander Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Tennessee
    I'm noticing some feather loss around the eyes of one of my Easter Eggers. Any thoughts? Its winter and I'm thinking its not molting. SHe was born last in May of 2012.

10. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    do you have a rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by