Hen losing feathers. Did I cause this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by courtney19, Nov 16, 2009.

1. courtney19

courtney19 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Hi. I have been treating my hen with what I think is wry neck for about a week now. She seems to be getting better as far as that condtion goes, however, now she has been losing A LOT of feathers. Like, everytime she moves, a whole pile falls out.

She spent the first couple days of treatment in the house, and has been sleeping in the basement for the last few nights. So I am thinking I may have caused her to start molting, since it's a lot warmer in here than outside. Is this possible?

Or could this be a side effect from the antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine?

Will she grow these feathers back for the winter?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    She is just molting. It's that time of year. There are some things that will bring on a molt (usually when you don't want one [​IMG] ) such as significant feed or lighting changes.

3. courtney19

courtney19 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Metro Detroit, MI
    thanks for the reassurance. she just looks so pitiful losing all those feathers, especially while going through this wry neck stuff. i just want to see her recover from it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by