Hen losing feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wild--Star, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Wild--Star

Wild--Star Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    Other than mites, what can cause a hen to lose feathers?
    My hen Izzy, who is currently in quarantine with my sick (respiratory issues) hen Sky.
    Izzy was fine but had to be put in quarantine with Sky as she would contaminate our healthy chicks :(
    Recently, Izzy has gotten really skinny and is now losing ALL her feathers? Is it stress? Shes not laying.
    I dont know what to do? I am going to dust her for mites but I dont think thats it...
    Please help, my poor little chickens :(

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    ???????

3. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Are you sure she is not molting. Sometimes when a bird molts it looks completely different. They can look skinny due to lack of feathers.

4. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    I'm pretty sure she is losing to many feathers to malt but I cant be certain. She has just dramatically lost weight and she ha gotten more flighty and there are feathers all over the place. She just has a lot of stumps where her feathers were, especially on her wings. She still has some feathers but this just doesn't look right to me? The other hen hasn't lost any feathers.

5. Eric 2016

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    That's a tough one. Feathers laying around is deffinatly a sign of molting. Could another chicken be picking on her or a rooster over breeding her?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sounds like molting to me. It's quite normal for them to drop some weight while molting. All those feathers growing in at once takes a toll.

7. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    I dont know, perhaps I am just overreacting. My hens just keep getting sick and I'm so over it but maybe I just instinctively freaked out. She could be molting, this has just never happened to any of my chickens before.

8. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you both so much, this has been reassuring. :)
    Oh and we don't have a rooster, the two possibly could be getting into little skirmishes but I think Sky is too weak to cause that.
    So it is most likely molting. Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is one of my hens, after dropping about half of her feathers in a 48 hour period.

10. Eric 2016

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    How long do you estimate it took her to get back to normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by