1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen losing feathers!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbrooks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. cbrooks

cbrooks New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    Hi all,
    I'm new to raising chickens and concerned about one of our hens. She's losing ALOT of feathers, especially around her rear and near her wings with a little on the top of her head. She's just barely over a year old. There are only four and they are rotated between little paddocks. They have more then enough room, have a balanced diet and I haven't noticed any pecking..ever. Our Great Pyrenees also keeps predators to pretty much zero. I've considered that she may be molting but she has lots of feathers broken off mid-shaft. Is that normal? There was a bunch of feathers in her dust bath today. Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    Do you have a rooster?
    If she was molting there would be pin feathers where the old feathers were

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. cbrooks

cbrooks New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    No, we don't have a rooster. I don't see any pin feathers yet (not sure how long it takes to see them), but I also don't see any creepy crawlies on her. Her skin is slightly pink but not what I'd consider inflamed. Could it be lice or mites? Wouldn't I be able to see them?

4. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    I thought you had a rooster because it sounds like over mating. Maybe the other hens are picking her feathers out. You might have to separate her until she gets all her feathers back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by