Hen losing feathers...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DianeB, Dec 12, 2009.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    One of my hens is losing quite a bit of back feathers. I checked her back and their is only folicals. It appears as if no feathers are growing back to replace them. We have no roosters. She is acting perfectly normal except for her constantly shedding feathers. I could not find any evidence of mites or lice on any chicken. There is no bolds spots, yet. It has been cold and dry. Now it is warmer and raining. Also, I have been letting them out latter due to the weather. So, she has been getting a few less hours of light this last week.

What could be the matter? Is it something to be concerned about?

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Apparently my 20 month old hen has decided to have her first molt in December. It came on very suddenly too. Hope that is all that is going on with your girl.

3. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    One of my other hens is molting. It doesn't seem the same. There isn't any other new feathers coming in.

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Is there an "over active" rooster that is messing with her too much?

5. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    We don't have any roosters. So, no. I think I might check her back in a few days to see if there is anything growing back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by