hen losing lots of feathers, bald belly & neck area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wlkrvllyny, Jan 31, 2012.

1. wlkrvllyny

wlkrvllyny Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Hi, I have a hen I suspect is a bit older, she is at the top of the pecking order, and last week during the snowstorm I went in the coop and noticed her belly is BARE. There is a rough callous I assume from the perch, but it was not bloody or red. She looks shaggier each day, and there are more feathers in the coop, and the other day I noticed a new bald spot on the front of her neck. Her legs have just "frizzy" brown feathers. She is a black orpington and has very few greenish black feathers anymore, like just undercoat feathers??
    None of the other hens have missing feathers. I don't see mites, I was able to pick her up, but as a novice I wasnt totally sure what to look for. Otherwise she seems ok, integrated with flock, normal poo I think. She hasn't laid since November??? I thought she already molted in Sept/October with the other ones. PLEASE HELP MARTHA IS ONE OF OUR FAVORITES!!

2. wlkrvllyny

May 6, 2011
  3. wlkrvllyny

May 6, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Dogchicky

Dogchicky New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    Hi, I have a hen that will be 3 in October. About a year ago she lost neck feathers, and when I checked her, her belly feathers were also gone and she had that callous you mentions. She seems fine for the most part. She also quit laying eggs already. It was sparse, then became eggs without shells, then she quit laying all together. She's a Buff and a real sweetie. I also have two Barred Rock that are a couple of months younger and are doing fine. Laying, eating, etc. Since she seems okay otherwise, I have decided to let her be a pet. I checked into seeing a vet, but the initial cost was $75. I only paid $2.50 for her to begin with.
    If you find anything out, please let me know. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by