Hen losing weight - very messy vent

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a 2 year old English orpingtons hen who is losing condition. She's always had a problem with a messy butt, but she has incredibly long feathers and fluff and I assumed that this was the reason. She is a really big bird, but she is losing weight now. They're all eating soaked organic whole grain feed (and have been for ages) and she seems to have an insatiable appetite. My daughter said she had a nasty burp yesterday. Is it sour crop, or something else? How can I tell?

Alright, if you're thinking sour crop, what you'll find is a big, balloon feeling crop. The crop should empty overnight, so in the morning check that her crop is empty and sort of flat feeling.

If it's full, you can gently massage the crop. Try to move things around. Be very gentle.

You can add some small pieces of olive oil soaked bread to her diet--this is to help whatever is blocking the crop to move along.

These methods have worked for me in the past, and my one hen is now 10 years old that had an impacted crop.

You can also look up sour crop or crop impactions on here and I'm sure you'll find some helpful tutorials.

Good luck with you girl!

At the moment I am not seeing any signs of impacted crop. She's got a 'normal' feeling crop at the moment. She is molting and I am wondering if she's just needing more food? More protein? No foul smells today...

Molting can cause them to need more protein. Is she getting a good layer feed now? If so, and if she's molting, you can supplement her diet with any high-protein treat (mealworms are a favorite).

Be sure to check her crop in the evening and then again first thing in the morning (before she's had access to feed). The crop should be full and somewhat firm in the evening, and empty in the morning.

I'm still not super-convinced you don't have a crop issue, but hope it's just molting...

Well, Heuldys is very perky and loving the high protein treats we're giving her! I'm not seeing any indications of sour crop (I've dealt with it in the past) and I am just hoping that she is just putting a lot of effort into making new feathers...

Back
Top Bottom