Hen lossing feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dudeky, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Dudeky

Dudeky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    I need help please, I have 5 chicken (hens) without rooster , I notice that one of them started to lost feathers of her tail, today she has no more beautiful long tail feather. and more small feathers are gone on her too. Please help.

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    How old is your hen?

3. Dudeky

Oct 2, 2013
    she is less than a year old

4. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Several factors may be at play. She may be going through a molt (Chickens molt several times before reaching adulthood and again at about a year old and each year thereafter), she may be getting plucked by the other chickens, or she may be plucking herself in an effort to cope with parasites or other irritation. The important thing to keep in mind is that chickens are always loosing a few feathers--it's usually nothing to worry about, but if you're concerned, watch for bullying behavior from other chickens and check your birds for parasites that may be irritating them.

5. Dudeky

Oct 2, 2013
    Thank you very much. I will check for parasites. Because only one of them loosing feathers that why I am worry about it.

6. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Also keep an eye on the other chickens. The rump is a common target for bully chickens trying to establish dominance over another bird.

7. Dudeky

Oct 2, 2013
    After few days , she lost most of her feathers now, I can see her skin. and she did not get bully from another chickens. I don't whatelse I should do for her but I think she stop lossing her feathers now. Thank you for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by