Hen lost a foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silversage03, Jan 26, 2014.

1. silversage03

silversage03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Belt, MT
    One of my Marans has lost her right foot, and I'm sure the left will be soon to follow. We had a severe cold snap here (temps to -35F) and she was the only one of my chickens who were effected. I feel bad for her, but she's eating and drinking well. The day I discovered that her foot fell off, I was a bit startled but not surprised. Both her feet had blackened completely, and seemed to be more of a hindrance to her as she roamed around the yard. The other chickens didn't bother her then, but now that she has such a different gait, the other hens go right after her. I've separated her into her own "apartment" with food and water, and she seems quite happy. I'll be moving her into our garage for the rest of the winter, and give her a private "yard" whenever the weather is nicer. Curious what others think about maintaining a chicken like this?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    geez, sorry to hear. how can she walk with only one foot? make her a fake one and strap it to her leg. if she loses both i would put her down.

3. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    I had a hen that lost a foot to string. She lived for many years and did just fine :). She did like to sleep in a 5 gallon bucket on the ground after that though.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    that was gross and incredibly awesome at the same time. [​IMG]

6. silversage03

silversage03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Belt, MT
    Thanks for that link Eggcessive!! That is exactly what her foot looked like. She's doing really well though. I let out for a few minutes on Tuesday, and what a difference! She walked around the coop as if nothing was wrong. I'll keep her separated for now, until everything is healed over. Then we'll see how she is and reevaluate. For now, she's definitely enjoying the extra attention and treats!

Thank you everyone for your posts and concern. I'm sure she must have roosted on the narrow roost on one of the colder nights. Wish I had seen TRChickenRanch's post sooner, but I'm glad her "Frosty" is doing so well.

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    did she lose the other foot or do you think she will?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by