Hen lost a lot of feathers during attack

Jackrocky

Hatching
Apr 27, 2020
Hello, one of my hens has just been attacked by a small dog, she is missing a lot of feathers, some on her back and many of her wing feathers. But besides that she has no other injuries, no bleeding or broken bones, just missing feathers. What should I do to help her? Will she grow her feathers back? I’m not sure if she is eating or drinking as the attack was only moments ago. She also seems a little shaken up, I moved her to a nesting box and she is sitting there now, she seems alert and not in pain.

Her feathers will grow back during her next molt, usually during fall.

I would definitely make sure she is eating and drinking properly, just keep an eye on her. You can see if she is eating by checking her crop. I'm sorry this happened to your chicken, it has happened to mine as well.

She will be spooked for a couple of days, so if she seems a little odd (staying in the coop for long periods throughout the day, not doing much), don't worry. Just let her adjust back to the flock when she feels ready.

Can you try preventing this so it doesn't happen again? Maybe beef up there run? From experience, predators seem to always come back. Hopefully, someone else can come and help you out a little more.

Back
Top Bottom