Hen lost condition

Sophie4321

Chirping
Jul 11, 2018
Last week I bought 3 maran lol pullets
They have all lost condition but one in particular has lost significantly more than the others.
None of them are eating very much
Should I be worried and is there anything I can do to help

Lost condition from what? Had you observed these birds over time or do you consider them losing condition in the last week?
We need more information.
What age?
What were they fed before you got them and what are you feeding now? (type of feed [protein and calcium%], treats, percentage of each)
What is your location?
What is housing like? (size, total # of birds, ventilation and bedding, confined or free range)

Last edited:
Lost condition from what? Had you observed these birds over time or do you consider them losing condition in the last week?
We need more information.
What age?
What were they fed before you got them and what are you feeding now? (type of feed [protein and calcium%], treats, percentage of each)
What is your location?
What is housing like? (size, total # of birds, ventilation and bedding, confined or free range)
I've only had them a week and they are about 5 months old They are fed on s mix of 50%, layers and 50% corn which I believe is about the same as they were fed on before I got them but I also think that the may have been moved around from breeder to selller only about a week before I got them They are currently in an empty stable away from the rest of my birds

What were they fed at their previous home, what are you feeding, are other birds keeping them from eating, do they have an adequate water supply =====
I've only had them a week and they are about 5 months old They are fed on s mix of 50%, layers and 50% corn which I believe is about the same as they were fed on before I got them but I also think that the may have been moved around from breeder to selller only about a week before I got them They are currently in an empty stable away from the rest of my birds

Get rid of the corn, just feed the layer. Better yet, get an all flock feed and supplement with oyster shell. If they are not laying yet, just the all flock, they don't need the calcium in the layer feed till they are making shells. Corn is a treat like candy for us. They will pick it out of the feed and eat it first, leaving the nutritional feed uneaten.

X2
It is good that you have quarantined to a point.
Corn is about 8-9% crude protein and almost devoid of some essential amino acids.
Feeding a complete feed(layer which is 16% protein and 4% calcium) is all they need (if they are laying eggs). Mixing 50% corn with 50% layer feed will net 12% crude protein and a blend very deficient in lysine and methionine. No wonder they are losing muscle tone.
There is a reason the feeding instructions on the feed bag has a statement to the effect, "this is a complete feed and should be the sole ration for laying hens and no supplements are necessary".
Laying hens are birds actively building egg shells. Pullets, roosters, molting hens, chicks are not layers and shouldn't be fed layer feed.

Get rid of the corn, just feed the layer. Better yet, get an all flock feed and supplement with oyster shell. If they are not laying yet, just the all flock, they don't need the calcium in the layer feed till they are making shells. Corn is a treat like candy for us. They will pick it out of the feed and eat it first, leaving the nutritional feed uneaten.
X2
It is good that you have quarantined to a point.
Corn is about 8-9% crude protein and almost devoid of some essential amino acids.
Feeding a complete feed(layer which is 16% protein and 4% calcium) is all they need (if they are laying eggs). Mixing 50% corn with 50% layer feed will net 12% crude protein and a blend very deficient in lysine and methionine. No wonder they are losing muscle tone.
There is a reason the feeding instructions on the feed bag has a statement to the effect, "this is a complete feed and should be the sole ration for laying hens and no supplements are necessary".
Laying hens are birds actively building egg shells. Pullets, roosters, molting hens, chicks are not layers and shouldn't be fed layer feed.

Thanks I will give them just the layer feed for now until they are looking much better

Thanks I will give them just the layer feed for now until they are looking much better
I would look for a feed around 18% protein and 1% calcium until they start to lay.
To give them a bit of a nutrition boost, cooked sardines (half an egg cup full every other day) or tuna will help.
You could also consider making a mash with the new feed you use. Make it by adding water to the feed (if it's pellets crush them before adding water). The feed should be wet enough to stick together but not wet enough to pour.:)
Layer feed is for laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom