Hen lost for 7 days.. found, but not standing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JuicyFatHead, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    So, one of my hens disappeared. They are free range, so after a few days I gave up, thinking she was 'gotten.' Yesterday we found her under a tarp covering some lumber. I looked here for her! But not well enough obviously.

She is missing quite a few wing feathers on one wing... neatly.. as if they were cut.

Beside that, everything LOOKS okay. The thing is, she hasn't gotten up since. I laid her down next to the water and she drank a lot. I fed her. She ate. Then I brought her inside and put her in a brooder box and gave her what she needed. She is still 'lame' this morning. She does move though! She moves her wings.. her legs don't feel broken.. but she lays down with one leg stretched backwards and one wing out for balance. She turns around and is often in a different position when I check on her. Just know she was laying without her wing out (photos show-1st one is last night-2ns this morning).

What do you guys think? Is she just REALLY cramped? She's alert and eating and drinking still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I think she is hurt. Maybe a fox or something got her and then dropped her for some reason . Did you go over her carefully to check for puncture wounds? I would try giving her some electrolytes and sugar in her drinking water, and protein like boiled or scrambled egg to help her heal. Good luck.

3. JuicyFatHead

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Oh yes! I forgot to mention I gave her poult pak. I will make her an egg and look over her again. We had a chicken last year get stuck under a different tarp (over a wood pile) so we thought maybe she was stuck. Maybe she didn't come out because she was hurt? My hubs saw something moving under the tarp and that's how we found her. The chicken last year that was stuck, was thirsty.. but running around after 2 minutes.

Thanks for you input!

4. JuicyFatHead

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Update: I rubbed her leg a bit and got her to bend it and curl her toes. AND she tried to stand.. it only lasted a second.. but she partially put some weight on both legs. Good sign. She gobbled up a couple scrambled eggs today too. She'll let me mess with her wing .. but it bothers her.. I don't think it's broken though. I felt everything.. boy did she lose some weight!

5. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    You are very lucky you found her. Good Luck

6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    poor baby!!

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Maybe she got a bump on the head and has a bit of a concussion? That could make it hard for her to stand.

When she tried to stand up did she topple over or just lower herself? If she lowered herself it could be cramps or a torn muscle.
    Electrolytes are good to go for sure if you think its cramps. I get terrible foot cramps and a sports drink, or if desperate, half a teaspoon of salt makes them go away.

Maybe try straightening her leg and putting pressure on her foot. Like, to immitate standing? That could help find out whether its a pelvic problem. Even her tendons could be sore if she was stretched too far the wrong way for some reason...

If animals go without water or food for too long they can get muscle meltdown, where the body breaks down its own muscle for nutrients and moisture to keep the 'important bits' alive. That could explain the rapid weight loss and her inability to stand, its because she's not strong enough anymore. It's good that she has started to try again though.

Good luck sorting her out

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

She is probably in shock and is suffering from a back injury. keep her hydrated and eating, add some vitamin E to either her water or give directly. Feed her anything she will eat that is good in protien to help build back up those muscles. Keep her in a quiet, darkened place near shallow food and water.... it may take some time. If no improvement you can build her a chicken chair that lets her work her legs etc.... injurys take time, give it a week or so and then reevaluate unless she worsens. Best Wishes

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    possible Mareks.

10. JuicyFatHead

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Quote:Wow, good information! Thank you so much. She lowered herself... I was thinking the same thing about her muscles/tendons...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by