Hen lost her eye

crazichickmom

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2015
Ardmore, Oklahoma
1 of my hens was attacked by a dog. Took her to vet and seems that she is lucky. Her left eye is ruptured and vet says most likely will not heal. I brought her into house n dog crate with food, water and blanket over top with space heater going. She is not eating or drinking yet and this is day 3. She finally drank 12ml of water through syringe this evening. She seems to be really uncoordinated and unable to find food bowl or water. Has anyone else got their chicken through this? Any way I can help her adapt?
When she acts like she is going for drink her heads swings really far to side and down missing the bowl.
I have another hen with 1 eye that we bought that way. She gets around no problem but when I got her she had already adapted to it.
Sorry it's long just worried about my Bobbi
1f615.png

Welcome to Backyard chickens. So sorry for you and your hen. Going blind in one eye suddenly would certainly throw her off balance and add to her anxiety of being attacked. I think she needs some babying and reassurance that she will be okay. Maybe some extra stroking and confine her to a small area till she starts to adapt. That way she won't get lost and if you need feed and water bowls in the same place, it will be easier for her to find them.

She probably wasn't eating due to shock but hopefully she will soon. Does she have favorite foods you can encourage her with? Some love warmed oatmeal, mashed boiled egg yolks. When she is feeling better - do you think she could be paired with your other blind hen? Chickens love companionship, and in turn she will be able to follow the other around.

Hopefully other responders will have other suggestions for you. Many people have attack survivors with various disabilities to overcome. I hope they notice your post.
hugs.gif

She recieved 2 injections at vet. Vet said they were for shock and I assume a steroid shot. She gave me a week dose of antibiotics for eye. She is in X Large dog crate with blanket over it. Have space heater blowing long ways so she can move according to her heat needs. Her food and water Are with her. I have given her her fav chick feed, dog food (she loves) and did warm her up some oatmeal. She seems to have no interest in any of it. She usually will eat and jump for anything. She is top hen of my squad of 3. Idk how her being pulled away will affect that either.
And of course I took her to vet, she is a pet. A family favorite! She was a discount hen bc of her beak. No one wanted her and she is the best thing!!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. You poor baby. Have you tried softening some food and using a syringe to feed her? That way she won't weaken further as she adapts.

We did and she would have nothing to do with the food.
We are on our way back to vet now. Vet wants to see her again since she has not improved much. They want to assess her again and decide between putting her in hospital or doing tube feelings at home. We will see what they decide
1f601.png

After babying your hen for some time, she'll get back on track and eventually get used to only using one eye, her sense will become more keen as a human would adjust may take more time. If she doesn't get any better or doesn't try helping herself and continues resistance, id cull her out. Sad to say. But I think itll be fine! Good Hopes and smart thinking about the vet, I wouldn't of went!

Went back to vet today. Vet was very optimistic about her eye. Says she still in shock. Gave us a tube to drop down her throat to give fluids, food and antibiotics until she starts eating on her own again.

Back
Top Bottom