Hen lung gurgle oxine isnt helping yet

scarletbaby

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
So my hen has a problem with her lungs. She gurgles when she breathes and it becomes worse when she is stressed or breathing heavily from flapping her wings. She has a healthy appetite and never refuses food. She is a silky and ever since she started the lung gurgle she has lost her fluff and her color (she was once orange and now she is white). Her eggs break easily compared to the other silkies. Her eggs are also whiter than the other girls and slightly bigger. Ive treated her with oxine for 6 days for 15 mins because i thought she had a fungal infection of the lung. It doesn't seem like she is getting any better. What is up with this chicken?

Never having used Oxine, I might be off base here. But I'm surprised that you seem to be dosing your hen with it. Oxine is corrosive. It produces the same corrosive substances that bleach does, but at a lower rate. Are you saying that your hen is taking in oxine internally?

Well, it could be that your application of the oxine was not sufficient, or it could be that she has some other form of respiratory infection that is not fungal. If you haven't already read it, this article is worth reading. I had two hens with a fungal infection in the lungs and I used a dog crate covered with a sheet to confine and treat them. I fogged with a cool mist humidifier like this one. This type of humidifier makes very tiny droplets that hang in the air for very long periods of time and is much cheaper and more practical than a commercial fogger for the average BYCer. As I recall, I fogged for about 10 minutes (removing the sheet cover after about 20 min), for four times a day, over a three day period. They started showing significant improvement by the second day and by the end of the third there were no more gurgling sounds in the lungs.

Yeah I read that article but they didn't say for how long or what fogging the bird's face meant. Was it a dense fog inside the cage or could you only see the stream of mist coming from the humidifier?

The type of humidifier I used makes a very dense fog, like being inside a cloud. It would remain foggy inside the crate for quite a while after I turned it off.

After 6 days and no change I believe I would be looking at trying something else. I would try Tylan 50 for 3 days.
Good luck, don't wait too long before going a different route.

im waiting for the Oxine AH to arrive - and it's not going to be another week or so until I can treat my chicken with it. my chicken experienced this problem a couple of days ago and i didn't think much of it, but today, i am staying home and have been observing her - she's not eating/ drinking much at all. she's been laying down a lot and closing her eyes for the last 5 hours. she had very watery, light yellow drop and a little bit of green. im not sure what to do for her in the mean time, while waiting for the oxine to come. i can't get the stuff around here....
i hope im not too late in treating her...

Back
Top Bottom