1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen made it through the night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmontrose, Mar 21, 2013.

1. dmontrose

dmontrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Hello I wrote yesterday. My hen fell in the pool. I do not know who long she was there. Half of her comb is ripped and hanging and he back of her neck is cut clean through. I have put polysporine on it and have give her a warming lamp. I have brought her in the house and put water and chick baby food pellets down for her to eat. I also placed a couple of strawberries. She has made it 32 hours now. She does not want you to give her food or water. It agitates her when you try. The area that holds food is really extended. Any advice at this point?

2. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    I'm sorry about your hen. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice. It sounds like you
    are doing everything to keep her comfortable. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How is she now? Sounds like you have done all you can. Keep her clean, warm and antibiotics on her wounds. You can try to give her things like peas, yogurt, meal worms, etc. to tempt her to eat. Keep water close to her to drink. Keep us posted.

4. dmontrose

Mar 20, 2013
    She is a Rhode Island Red and has a pretty large Comb. The comb is almost completely torn off. It is hanging on her head and seems to irritate her. I do not know if I should try to cut it off or medical tape it and see if it will reattach. ....if there is some way to tape to her head of feathers.

Also her Crop is inlarged. I am not for sure if her stomach just wont digest due to the trauma or if she just swallowed a ton of chlorinated water and this is what is making it like this. Today will be day number 3. She is a strong and sweet hen but is quite messed up.

5. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    feel the crop if it is squishey like it is filled with water you may have to empty it if it does not go down in the morning, it may be blocked and that may be why she does not want food and water, it has no were to go. So to do this, hole her like a football, tip her head in the downward position and genty push on her crop, fluid should come out if it is full like a ballon, make sure her head is down and be gentle, you don't want any fluid going into in lungs

6. dmontrose

Mar 20, 2013
    Do I position her head upside down? Will the liquid come out of her beak? Thank you for the help!

7. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    With regard to the separated comb I have see on this forum and on the internet how people cut the combs and wattles off chickens
    to show a chicken or to prevent frost bite. Supposedly there is no pain for the chicken but not sure anyone has asked the chicken.
    In the video I saw, the chicken didn't even flinch. Perhaps might be the simplest way to go. Not sure what the method is called
    but is seems quite common. Positive thoughts sent your way.

8. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    I had to cut off a piece of a comb a while back- I used a VERY sharp knife edge scissors-nothing else would have done it swiftly. You could use NEW regular scissors and keep them just for amputations. She Flinched hard when I did it, so it did hurt, could have just been the certain place it was at. It bled quite a bit, too-I keep styptic pencils handy just for the chickens. Couldnt be helped. Its not likely a ripped comb is going to reattach and I personally wouldnt even try. You gotta do what ya gotta do.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  9. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes, tilt her head towards the ground and the fluid shouls drip/pour out of her beak with a little bit of pressure on her crop. Only do this if you think her crop is full od fluid that has not passed after 24 hours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by