hen making new sounds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LocoPollo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Hey guys! I notice today that my oldest hen is making a long, low, clucking all day, practically without stop. I just added two new egg laying hens today, so I don't know if she is feeling threatened, or she is about to lay, of what is going on. It is definitely a wired sound though! Any ideas?

2. richnchicks

richnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    weatherford, tx.
    maybe you should get your egg basket ready. mine did that for a few days before laying. don't know about behavior with new hens.
    rich

3. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    She sounds a bit like a cat in heat. Pretty scary. You think she is ok?

4. richnchicks

Mar 30, 2008
    weatherford, tx.
    is she doing the 'squat' when you reach for her?

5. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    She has never let me pick her up. She is holding her wings out by her side, though, like when she has babies underneath. Wasn't sure if that was from the heat.

6. richnchicks

Mar 30, 2008
    weatherford, tx.
    the 'squat' is when the hen is ready for a roo to do his thing. she will squat down and stay there waiting and you can pet her without her running away. just try to put one hand on her back quickly and see what she does.

7. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    she just ran from me. I did see, either yesterday or the day before, the rooster was on top of her, biting the back of her neck, and she didn't try to get away.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  8. richnchicks

Mar 30, 2008
    weatherford, tx.
    ah ha! one of my favorite chicken experts in the world would probably tell you that the roo knows! she should probably be laying soon. nature has a way of telling them when it's time. keep an eye out for the egg that will be coming soon.
    rich

9. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    wohoo! I hope so! I can't wait for eggs! That is why I bought the two new layng hens today! Hehe. Now I have three, with about ten coming of age in a couple of months!

10. richnchicks

Mar 30, 2008
    weatherford, tx.
    if you'd like i can go take a picture of one doing the 'squat'. they also will carry their wings out when they get hot. they pant, too. we put ice in the water when it gets hot out. that seems to help a lot.
    here's one of our eggs.
    rich

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by