Hen Mauled by Dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmoPullam, Nov 27, 2013.

1. AmoPullam

AmoPullam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Hello! I'm new here and I have a question about using aspirin to help my hen's pain. Two days ago, I heard my six hens squawking and I ran outside. My family's backdoor neighbor's dog, Mocha, had jumped our fence and was biting Francesca, my Barred Plymouth Rock hen. I grabbed Mocha and shut her in our garage, put the other hens in the coop, and took Francesca inside to access her injuries. Mocha had ripped off most of Francesca's back feathers and had torn a hole about one inch by one inch in above her leg. It is not very deep, I think. She is behaving normally, eating and drinking, and her feces are normal. I cleaned it with a saline solution, then put Betadine on it because I had heard that dog bites are prone to infection. Finally, I put Neosporin on it, and have been reapplying it regularly. Despite my best care, for she is a pet, she seems to be in pain. I have been giving her water with aspirin in it ( I dissolved one 81mg tablet in one gallon of water), but it does not seem to be helping. Can I give her something stronger, or give it to her with food? Here is a picture of the wound. Is there anything else I should be doing?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I had a hen get attacked by a hawk. It plucked her back and she had deep claw marks down to the muscle. She really was a mess. I sprayed her with blu kote and kept watch for infection. She had a hard time getting around. She limped and the injury made it very painful for her to move. I only sprayed the blu kote. She healed, grew feathers back, and is now laying eggs again! Unreal! I think my roo saved her as he was missing a tail feather that day and I found it by her plucked feathers. She is a buff orpington and is a real trooper. She now has her courage back to come outside.

3. AmoPullam

AmoPullam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks for the answer! I've heard that chickens are pretty hardy, and Francesca' s wound sounds a lot better than yours, so I guess she has a pretty good chance of survival. BTW, I love your avatar. Is the horse yours? Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  4. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I think that if you keep her free of infection she will be ok. The horse is my old mare Starr, she is now 23. The picture was taken about 5 years ago. I got her when I was in high school, she was 9 months old then! We have been through a lot together! Good luck with your hen! The darn critters are like family!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by