1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen may or may not be broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArtCaptain, May 8, 2016.

1. ArtCaptain

ArtCaptain Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I have a hen who has been sitting in the nesting box the whole day. I'm guessing shes going broody again like she did last year, but this time I don't have a rooster(gave him away). Night will fall soon and the nesting box isn't in the pen, its outside. Should I just take her out of the nesting box?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you want to 'break' her broodiness, take her out of the nest and pen her away from it until she stops being 'clucky'.

3. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    X2, make sure the cage is off the ground so air can circulate around her so her temperature drops. Or if the weather is nice where you live, you can dunk her in a bucket of water so she cools down.

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe you could buy some fertile eggs?

5. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    ohhh I wish I could! :) Having more chickens would be great; however my backyard is small so I doubt I could get anymore chickens.

6. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    Its already pretty fresh outside so I'll probably just dump her in real quick. After all chicken feathers are sorta waterproof. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by