Hen missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JeremyKSullivan, Mar 2, 2013.

1. JeremyKSullivan

JeremyKSullivan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    Hello, my wife and I just got our first chickens. We bought them at an auction near home. One of our hens is missing feathers. Otherwise, she acts/appears healthy. Will these feathers grow back? Is there anything I need to do to help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Chickens do molt their feathers regularly, but it almost looks like she's only losing them in one spot, that's odd.
    They could have been pulled out by another chicken.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. JeremyKSullivan

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    My theory, is that whoever had her before me probably had her with multiple roosters that had their way with her. I just wondered if I should be alarmed, or if I can/should do anything to help her grow them back.

4. Ducclelover10

They should grow back fine. That's what I was thinking, the roosters do pull out the hen's back feathers a lot!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ducclelover10

If there are a bunch of roosters that are going to continue to pull out her back feathers, there are places you can purchase a chicken saddle, to let them grow back nice and thick or to keep that bare skin from getting injured.

1 person likes this.
  6. JeremyKSullivan

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    Thanks for the tip! I only have her with 1 young rooster and 1 other hen now, so hopefully they'll come back. If not soon, I'll look into the saddle. Thanks again!

7. Ducclelover10

You are welcome!

8. chickenfarmer74

chickenfarmer74 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    I have the same problem with my hens, and they have never been around a rooster. Maybe 6 of my dozen are missing feathers on there back, just like in the photo. I can not figure out why they are losing them. They are only 11 months old and everyone says molting doesn't start this earlier. I can not find any mites or lice. Anyone have any more suggestions?

9. IGmom

IGmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Bixby, Ok.
    i have a black chicken that is missing feathers on her back similar to that, close to the base of the tail. i have a small silky rooster that i suspect is over mating with them. some of the other hens have it or are starting to show signs of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by