Hen missing toenail...still showable?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shadowhills Farm, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    We picked up this White Orpington Hen last week. She is very pretty in my opinion. I went to file her beak and toenails down yesterday and I saw that she's missing a toenail!![​IMG]

Everything else seems to be OK on her, just missing that toenail. Is she still showable by any chance??

Here's a pic of her:
    [​IMG]

Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I don't know at the lake city show my granddaughter was disqualified as her silkie had an extra toe nail coming out of one of his toes We didnt realize it until we bathed him Its ashame too as he was the best looking cockerel there You culd tell the judge thought so too as he even called another judge over to show him the toenail. You might want to check with a show secretary or someone who knows a judge.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You could always use Lee press-on nails and trim it down! [​IMG]

4. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    We took our birds to the Inverness show in November (we didn't have the White Orp at that time), but I didn't see any judges really looking at the feet... Sorry the Silkie got DQed!! [​IMG]

You could always use Lee press-on nails and trim it down!

LOL [​IMG]

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Thanks I have heard it depends on the judges. He couldnt find anything else wrong with him I guess. We were watching him when he took the bird out of the cage and the look on his face said it all then he looked at his feet and wham you could see his face drop. We knew we were taking a chance but try telling an 8 year old that her bird has a defect when she thinks the world of him. Some judges look at the feet some dont.

6. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

I ran into something a bit similar lately on my bantam cochins. The bird had rudimentary outer toes on each foot.
    I've looked thru the ABA bantam standards more closely, 2006 edition. On page 23 reads, "Shape Defects--
    Missing toe ...1 point each
    Missing part of toe... 1 point each
    NOTE: Feather leg breeds are not to be penalized for a rudimentary outer toe"

So for a missing toenail should only be one point according to their book.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Quote:Awesome!! Thanks for the info!! Even though that info was for bantam, it should still go for standards??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by