Hen mounting another hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Top Rooster, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    This I still by far the weirdest thing I've seen a Chicken do this Chicken that has laid eggs and is high on The pecking order mated another hen that I said also high on the pecking order. We do have a rooster so I don't think that's an issue but um well this is weird.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Not at all uncommon in the animal kingdom. It's about dominance, not about sex.

1 person likes this.
  3. clucklady

clucklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2015
    That's interesting. I also have a gay hen. She's dead last on the pecking order, but is always trying to mount one particular hen, who doesn't complain. I have no roosters.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Um...No.

This^^^

5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

LG is right, it's a dominance display. We have a pair of dogs and they do the same thing, sort of. The older <five letter word for female canine> will sometimes 'mount' the younger male and even go through the motions, so-to-speak. Although now that both are getting older she has been doing this less and less. I suppose she getting ready to pass the leader's torch to the growing male.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by