hen moving slow, doesnt run away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aaron Young, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Aaron Young

Aaron Young Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    I have two backyard chickens that come to the back door every morning. this morning both were at the back door but the hen was falling asleep and dropping her head. upon closer inspection her feathers were ruffled up and it looked like something had slobered on her neck buy there was no blood or cuts. I continued till watch her all day... she would follow the roster some what but was still very lethargic. I just checked the hen house and she is not on the perch like she is every night to sleep but in her nesting box instead. also of note she has only laid one egg the last five days but it has started getting colder here the last week or so..... any thoughts?

2. Aaron Young

Sep 28, 2013
    also she would let me pic her up today and didn't runaway.... that never happens

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could possibly have coccidiosis. The symptoms are fluffed up, lethargic, diarrhea --sometimes with some blood, ruffled feathers, and poor appetite. The treatment is Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp (or powder 1 1/2 tsp) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Other considerations would be to check for mites and possibly a worm load. Also check to see that the crop is emptying by morning. Sometimes when they are egg bound they will sit in a nest box.

4. Aaron Young

Sep 28, 2013
    cocci sounds right but her poop is solid with a white cap. would I be able to see worms in the poo...I opened it up and examined it.. nothing

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens get a variety of worms. The only ones visible are occasionally round worms, and most chickens don't get these, but tapeworms. As chickens look lethargic for many reasons, you could check her vent with a rubber glove and lubricant to search for an egg. Sometimes you can feel it in the abdomen. Is there a possibility that she could be broody? That is when they want to sit on eggs in the nest box. You can test it by removing her, placing a couple of eggs in a nest, and see if she returns to it.

6. Aaron Young

Sep 28, 2013
    the hen seems to be close to normal now energy wise but her poo is milky white and still no egg. not broody

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If all of her droppings are mostly white, that can be a sign of kidney problems, since the white part of the dropping is urine. Is she drinking enough or too much? Make sure she is on a balanced layer or grower feed 16 % protein, and no more than 20 %. Sorry that I don't have more suggestions. I just found this older thread with a similar situation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...whats-up-with-my-barred-rock/10#post_12275698

8. Aaron Young

Sep 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

ok so I think I know what is causing it but not why. I just got home and she is back to full energy but I huge spot of feathers are getting pulled out off her next...I guess by the roo. I have noticed he has been getting very protective recently. what should I do?

the picture doesn't do justice on how many feathers are plucked out

9. Aaron Young

Sep 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

find this pile of feathers...atleast 30-40

10. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    Do they go in at night she could be broody symptoms of bloodiness try to see who is pulling them out relax her with food and water i personally would remove her from the roo for a night see if she is any Better my roo killed one of my chick/hen check water for slugs or worms often a sign

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by