Hen mystery illness? Suggestions please.

erinsumpter

Chirping
Jun 14, 2019
I have a 2 yr old hen that has been making a weird coughing noise for about 3+ weeks, a little gurgle sound and shaking her head. Day 1 of hearing the sound, I separated her immediately from the flock and treated her initially with VetRx thinking respiratory, but 2 days later with no other respiratory symptoms began treating for gapeworm after reading multiple articles and sites on gapeworm symptoms. The same day, I began treating her for gapeworm another hen made the same coughing sound so treated her as well, the next day a 3rd hen was shaking her head and making a little gurgle sound. Took them all to the vet. They tested negative for other types of worms from their fecal test, but didn't really talk about gapeworm. She just said what I was giving them for gapeworm was what they would suggest so I could keep giving it to them and they also gave 7 days of antibiotics for anything else they may have. The day after the vet visit the 3rd hen was showing symptoms of sour crop. So separated her from the other 2 and began treating her for sour crop (she'd also been treated for gapeworm and was on the antibiotic for 7 days) while the other 2 continued being treated for gapeworm and on antibiotic. Fast forward to today...the last 2 hens that became ill are fine now, no symptoms at all, but the original hen is still making a coughing/ hacking sound and occasionally shaking her head. She's had a full treatment for gapeworms and been on an antibiotic for 7 days. She doesn't seem to have sour crop, but don't know what else it could be. All the while, they all have continued to lay eggs and have shown no other symptoms, like yucky eyes or beak or lethargic. I'm afraid put her back in the coop with the others just in case she does still have something. She hasn't gotten any worse this whole time and she's actually pretty spicy. Not liking being cooped up and away from the flock. My flock has been healthy until these got "sick" and nothing new has been introduced to them. The only other thing that I could think of is they may have eaten some scratch that had gotten wet and I didn't realize it until I had thrown it into the coop. I tried to scoop up as much as I could but didn't get it all. That happened about 3-4 weeks ago. But, I don't know what wet scratch would cause. Sorry this is so long, but I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

I'd much rather wade through a long post with all the information necessary to help than to have three sentences that barely inform that a chicken may be sick and then expect us to tell them what's wrong. So, thank you for the long post!

It sounds like your flock has a common mild respiratory illness as that is what the symptoms tell me, and the antibiotic should help them recover. I wouldn't bother segregating any sick ones at this point as all have likely been exposed to it.

The one with sour crop likely got the yeast from the antibiotic killing off good microbes in the digestive tract. I assume you are using miconazole or other yeast med on her. She doesn't need to be segregated, either. I would give all of the chickens a probiotic such as acidolphilus to restore good microbial balance.

All in all, you've been doing a splendid job. We could use your help around here.

Thanks for the response! I haven't given any yeast meds - didn't know about those, so thanks!. I was giving them a little bit of greek yogurt to put good microbes back in them. I'll get some yeast meds and yes, I'm going to start giving them all probiotics.

Thanks for the response! I haven't given any yeast meds - didn't know about those, so thanks!. I was giving them a little bit of greek yogurt to put good microbes back in them. I'll get some yeast meds and yes, I'm going to start giving them all probiotics.
I'd much rather wade through a long post with all the information necessary to help than to have three sentences that barely inform that a chicken may be sick and then expect us to tell them what's wrong. So, thank you for the long post!

It sounds like your flock has a common mild respiratory illness as that is what the symptoms tell me, and the antibiotic should help them recover. I wouldn't bother segregating any sick ones at this point as all have likely been exposed to it.

The one with sour crop likely got the yeast from the antibiotic killing off good microbes in the digestive tract. I assume you are using miconazole or other yeast med on her. She doesn't need to be segregated, either. I would give all of the chickens a probiotic such as acidolphilus to restore good microbial balance.

All in all, you've been doing a splendid job. We could use your help around here.
I took a video of her today, just for additional reference.

I added a couple of videos that I took today, just for reference of the sound she’s making. Excuse the mess, I took video before I picked up her dirty “puppy” pads. And, she laid an egg today.

I took this video today just for additional reference of the sound she’s making and behavior. Excuse her mess - I did the video before cleaning her space.

I added a couple of videos that I took today, just for reference of the sound she’s making. Excuse the mess, I took video before I picked up her dirty “puppy” pads. And, she laid an egg today.

I took this video today just for additional reference of the sound she’s making and behavior. Excuse her mess - I did the video before cleaning her space.

Back
Top Bottom