Hen names

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akcskye, Aug 11, 2007.

1. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Okay...I need some help.

I have a complete block for naming these new hens...I almost think I'm afraid to get too attached, being Billy and Marti were killed by the neighbor's dogs who broke into my yard back in June.

The only chick's name I have made is Goldilocks...because she's a SLW/BO cross, and instead of being Silver Laced, she's gold laced.

The rest of the hens are Buff...and I can't tell who their mothers are...from a selection of RIR (Marti, who died), Black Australorp, and Brahma.

If I knew I had a Brahma baby, it'd be named Hazel...because Moma Hattie (my Brahma) is named after my Gr. Grandma, and Hazel, my grandma who passed away last year, was her daughter.

But...no chickies with feathers on their toes.

So, how do you tell? The older they get, the more BO looking they get...LOL

2. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Personally, I have a theme for naming my chickens: Roman emperors and mythology. :-D Whenever I get a new chicken, all I do is Google or Wikipedia and pick a fun sounding name....LOL--all my cats are named after significant characters in the South during the Civil War, and my dogs after Northerners...(unfortunately we lost our BRs Caesar and Augustus a few months ago--7 years old!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by