Hen nearly drown! Aspiration Pneumonia?

Dez

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Kissimmee
Our silkie hen fell into the pond yesterday evening and very nearly drown! I don't know how long she was in the water. When I saw her she was weakly struggling to keep her head above water!!!
I was able to fish her out but her head did submerge a few times during the rescue effort.

She cold and wet and had rattled breathing so I think she inhaled a bit of water

She spent last night inside on a heating pad and seems to be back to her usual self this morning.... but her breathing still is a bit weezy...although not as bad as it was last night

I am worried about her developing aspiration pneumonia and want to get ahead of it before it gets worse.

I have Duramycin 10 powder
Tylan 200 injectable
Tylan 50 (expired)

I'd like to use the duramycin 10 because it seems less harsh and easy to administer than the tylan but i don't know if it would be effective preventing aspiration pneumonia??

At the moment she seems perfectly fine.. eating,drinking and scratching around but I do hear a slight rattle to her breathing.

She is currently quarantined

Go with your gut on this. There is a real risk of pneumonia from inhaling water. There could have been bacteria in the water, and that could add to the danger of infection. Any broad spectrum antibiotic should work.

Back
Top Bottom