Hen needs more calcium?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Malita, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Malita

Malita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    McKinney, TX
    One of my RIRs (Spicy) has been laying eggs that are like a sheet of brown paper with an egg laid on them. They are on Layena layer crumbles, have oyster shell as free choice, and free range about 12 hours a day. I'm assuming to harden up her eggs, she needs more calcium. So, should I start other snacks like cheese, yogurt, broccoli to get more into her? All of the other hens are laying normal eggs.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sometimes it is not how much calcium they eat but how their bodies process the calcium. If the others are laying eggs with good shells, you can pretty much assume it has something to do with the individual hen. With the Layer and oyster shell on the side, you are doing about what you can.

If she has just started laying, it may be that her internal egg laying factory has not got all the kinks worked out of the system. If that is the case, she should correct the problem within a couple of weeks. But if this is a long term problem, it probably has something to do with the hen.

Some diseases will cause that, but if one hen has it, they all should. If the others start laying irregular or soft shelled eggs you can suspect disease. I hate to mention that because you might start worrying about it, probably unnecessarily, but I think you should be aware of the possibility. I really think it is more likely genetics of the individual hen if it is a long term problem. And if she has just started laying, it is something that should correct itself.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good info from Ridgerunner.

May want to add Magnesium & Vitamin D. Both are important to the absorbtion of calcium.
    Here's a list of some other calcium rich foods that might be of help.

1. Spinach & Swiss Chard
    2. Salmon & Sardines (canned with bones)
    3. Mustard, Collard, Kale & Turnip greens
    4. Shellfish
    5. Blackstrap molasses (can cause runny stools)
    6. Corn Tortillas
    7. Yogurt
    8. Mozzarella & Cheddar cheese
    9. Milk, Buttermilk (goat's milk and cow's milk)
    10. Basil, thyme, dill seed, cinnamon, and peppermint leaves
    11. Romaine lettuce
    12. Rhubarb
    13. Almonds, Peanuts & Brazil Nuts
    14. Black Beans, Dried Beans (Cooked)
    15. Sesame seeds
    16. Fennel
    17. Cabbage, Bok Choy, & Chinese cabbage
    18. Summer squash
    19. Green beans
    20. Garlic
    21. Tofu & Soybeans
    22. Brussel sprouts & Broccoli
    23. Oranges (Some people do not feed citrus to chickens)
    24. Asparagus & Okra
    25. Crimini mushrooms
    26. Foods Fortified with Calcium: Some Orange Juice, Breads, & Cereals

Good luck,

Imp

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There are 5 main things that can "regulate" egg shell quality.
    Protein,
    Calcium,
    Phosphorus,
    Vitamin D
    Magnesium
    An improper balance of any one of the above 5 elements can give you soft egg shells.

Chris

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have a cuckoo marans that has to have extra or the shells start thinning and become non-existant. I tried the oyster shell stuff. No good. I give her cheese, cottage cheese occasionally and every day I put crushed up egg shells out for her. She devours them and no problems.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by