Hen needs to gain weight

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kmlnll, Oct 25, 2013.

1. kmlnll

kmlnll Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    I have a hen that was injured a little over a month ago. Due to her injury she's lost a lot of weight. With winter approaching I'm worried with how skinny she is. Is there any foods I can feed her that will bulk her up quickly? Right now she only has pellets and what bugs she finds in the yard. What should I add to her diet?

2. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Give her scrambled eggs, lots of fresh fruits, and some yogurt a couple times per day. That should help her gain some weight. Just make sure she doesn't become reliant on the treats and that she is still eating her pellets. The scrambled eggs are the best option because they have just about everything a chicken needs as a temporary replacement.

Good luck!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You might try a chicken feed with a higher protein/fat level as the easiest thing. If she is eating layer that is usually only around 16% protein, you could try one of the chick starters as her primary food or one of the really high game bird type foods as a supplement to the Layer food. Just offer her oyster shell on the side if she is still laying. Otherwise some popular things people like to supplement with seem to be things like small kibble cat/dog/fish food, meat (mine really like hamburger), cheese, bugs of any kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by