1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen? New to this!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HuliHuliMoa, Jul 6, 2016.

1. HuliHuliMoa

HuliHuliMoa Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    New England
    I just added the sister to one of the other Cochin/RIR crosses to my group. Her comb is roughly the same size as the other and just a teeny bit more pink (definitely not red like my obvious roosters, although they are a different breed). The wattle is very very small, just like the other one. The farmer who I purchased them from says they are from the same hatching and had told me they are Cochin/RIR crosses. They are 8 weeks old. This is the best picture I could get without all the other chickens getting all upset--they were a little extra camera shy today! I also added a picture of her sister at the bottom. I will try again tomorrow or Friday to get better pictures. Thank you in advance!

She is the black/grey in the center....
    [​IMG]

Here is the best close-up I could get today....

[​IMG]

Here is another one...(that's not a wattle, but the wood--sorry for the bad pic)

[​IMG]

Here is a body shot

[​IMG]

Here is her "sister" in the center.

[​IMG]

2. legit chickens

legit chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    It looks like a hen to me.

3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    x2. It doesn't look like a Cochin or a RIR. She's very pretty

4. HuliHuliMoa

HuliHuliMoa Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    New England
    Oh no! I didn't consider that possibility! I know he had RIR on the farm--I saw them in his barn. He had some Polish and some Silkies also. I didn't see a Cochin but then again I didn't tour the whole farm either.

What could they be then? I did fall in love with their markings!

And WHEW on the hen part! We aren't allowed to have roos in our town and I already have 2 (and if the Silkie is a male...[​IMG]).

5. HuliHuliMoa

HuliHuliMoa Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    New England
    Augh, so devastated to find pointy saddle feathers under rounded feathers. When I was cleaning their coop today. They are pointy and red. No noise, but I feel almost 100% certain he is a roo. Made my son cry because we aren't allowed to have Roos and I already have two bantam Roos and we just found out our silkie is a roo. Was planning on keeping them until someone says something (we have nice neighbors), but my son is so sad since she/he is his favorite. Eats right out of his hand and everything. Whhhhyyyy?!

I will try to get a pic tomorrow (my phone died).

And a friend of mine said she/he is either an Ameraucana cross or an Easter egger. Breed doesn't mean much to me though, just want a variety in our flock!

I am officially banning myself from sexing chicks! Augh didn't want to find another chicken and have to start quarantine all over again :-(.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by