Hen noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my5hens, Jan 18, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Ok my second question........

When hens make that long cluck sound, you know the one that almost sounds like a long growl, is that mean they are mad? It sure sounds like it!

Can you tell I am a first time hen owner? [​IMG]

2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    my chooks do it now and then but they get over it they r just being a bosyboots [​IMG]

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Mine do it pretty often. It's usually when I first come out to check on them. They all come scrambling out of where ever they are hiding (since there's snow on the ground and pretty cold, they aren't really bebopping around much) and make that noise. Eventually, they knock it off and change to general clucking and just chitter chatter that they do. I'm not sure why mine do it, other than that maybe they are asking for their hand out first! lol, I love that they talk to me. I think it might be a sound of endearment, as the one usually doing it is one that will squat for me and run right up to me first.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The growl is certainly startling, isn't it? Especially the first time I heard my rooster do it. Lordy!

It is a warning sound, but not like "leave me alone" - more like "something needs my attention; I'm not sure of this."

I also love the "trill" sound, which can be an affectionate & contented noise OR a "everybody pay attention now!" call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by