Hen not acting normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doubles, Jan 16, 2015.

1. doubles

doubles Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Winnie, Tx
    Wednesday morning I found one of my hens (almost 8 months old) walking very slowly all fluffed out and stopping to hunch over every once in a while. I brought her in and gave her warm baths since she wasn't pooping at all and seemed to be in the egg bound position. Yesterday she seemed better although there was no egg. Her tail and wings were up and she looked alert and was eating some. She had pooped a poop which looked pretty normal. There was a little light pink in there with what looked like light pink tissue. She has pooped occasionally since then, none are bloody or pink. They have all looked fairly normal until the large one she just had this morning which was somewhat runny brown, green, and then the white of the urate. She did eat a little fresh oregano yesterday so that could have caused the green? The two she's had since then have been mostly loose and brownish/reddish (not bloody) one with the urate and one without. She seems to be more active today than yesterday. Today when I set her down on my bathroom floor she immediately started walking around inspecting everything. This whole time her comb and wattles have stayed a nice bright red. She still hasn't laid an egg, but being a black copper marans she can sometimes go a few days without laying. We have had almost non stop rain and cloudy days since Christmas. Too much cloudy weather to dry everything up, and my chickens all love the puddles. All my other chickens are acting normally. I do have at least two outside with loose poop, but nothing's in that poop and they are running happily around the pasture. I'm thinking they just have drank too much yucky puddle water? Any help would be appreciated! These are my first birds so I am totally new to chicken illnesses. I called the only vet in our town to see if they could test her poop and they said they couldn't do it there. I have no other vets near me within a 30 mile radius so that's very frustrating! I'm wondering if I should just put her back outside since she seems perky today even though her poop is a little runny? Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take a fresh poop sample to a vet?

-Kathy

3. doubles

Jul 8, 2014
    Winnie, Tx
    Unfortunately no. :(. The only vet here in town said they couldn't do it, and there are no other vets within 30 miles of us. And my vehicle isn't good enough to drive that far.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since you can't get a vet to examine droppings, I would probably give them all some Corid or amprollium in the water for 5 days just in case of coccidiosis. After completion, I would give a few days of vitamins and probiotics. Then, I would worm them all with Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer, and repeat it in 10 days. Make sure there aren't wet areas inside the coop, or any mold.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  6. doubles

Jul 8, 2014
    Winnie, Tx
    [​IMG]
    This was her first poop this morning. It looks dried and cakey because I had put it in a bag for the vets office. I just now took a pic of it. Because I had that sample prepared I didn't save any of the others she had today or take pictures of them unfortunately. I can the next time she poops.

7. doubles

Jul 8, 2014
    Winnie, Tx
    I thought about going ahead and doing corid. I bought some yesterday in case I saw more bloody poop. I'm trying to be as natural as possible with them so didn't want to give it until I heard from the vet, but since the vet is out....

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No harm in treating with Corid. Have you seen her drink?

-Kathy

9. doubles

Jul 8, 2014
    Winnie, Tx
    Yes she has been drinking. And eating some. Should I go ahead and treat the whole flock? I read that it's okay to eat the eggs while they are on corid?

10. doubles

Jul 8, 2014
    Winnie, Tx
    [​IMG]
    Here's her most current poop. It's not runny anymore... I don't really know what to think. She seems pretty alert and perky right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by