1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Hen Not Being Active

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My 1 1/3 year old BSL isn't being herself. She'll eat/drink, run to somewhere then lay down. Just *plop*. Sit down. Let the others behind me trample and trip over me. A couple days ago she did have a malformed egg (I think) hanging out of her, but when I went out to remove it, she had passed it and acted normal. She would go on and off from looking/acting normal to laying down all the time. I haven't seen her poop, but she could have in my absence. She is in the nesting boxes right now, I don't know if she's laid and egg the past couple days. (I think not.) It could be egg bound, but she isn't waddling and like I said, its been 4-5 days. It could be internal laying, but I don't think her belly is swollen. What could it be?!?!

2. leetfreq925

leetfreq925 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    I have a hen who has occasional egg issues (once a month or so...). if it's not a broken egg, it's a shell-less egg, or just yolk oozing out of her. she does the same thing, sometimes just standing, wavering back and forth with her eyes closed. try this :
    http://hencam.com/faq/the-spa-treatment/
    a nice warm epsom salt bath and olive oil. I've even done a couple in a day, as each time I would notice some movement. This website is a fantastic resource.
    If she were eggbound, she would have her drawers dropped vs. laying down perhaps? try the spa and see how she feels.

3. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed one of you lives on the east coast...have either of you considered cocci? It can cause egg problems when no other egg laying symptoms are present? Just a thought. Tons of it going around on the east coast, as we have had a very wet summer and it's a perfect environment for all parasites...just a thought! It doesn't have to be wet either, a wild bird could deliver a strain your birds have not built an immunity to.

4. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
  5. mithious

Just to let you know, some chickens do not exibit all or most of the regular symptoms, mine didn't. I had no bloody stools, for one example, and others, especially with older birds, full grown birds and laying age birds, the symptoms can be very deceiving, as they follow no regular pattern...just and FYI so you have all the info! Sometimes you can look back and see a few of the symptoms you might have missed as they were so slight as to be undetectable. Plus chickens are really good at hiding being sick until they are so sick, it is so obviously apparent! Then it could be too late!

6. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    They certainly are - creatures of habit that want to keep up. I guess one more thing to watch out for. I hope your girl feels better Chicks galore3!

7. mithious

That is so true!!! I find that if things are not on a regular schedule, or new things are added, it throws them all off [​IMG]

8. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I didn't even think of Cocci. Thank you everybody for your replies, I'll look at the links and see if those match her. I checked on her when I let them out, she was laying down but ran out when I opened the door - after I caught her, (had to chase her, like normal) I felt for bumps, swollen-ness, impacted crop, and checked her vent. Negative to any signs what so ever. *sigh* and I'm leaving tomorrow on a long vacation, so I won't be here! I am so stressed right now!!!

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm going to try the spa treatment - hopefully it'll work. [​IMG]

10. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    make sure to add a nice massage :) good luck! one of my chickens hated it (even though it really helped) and another one LOVED it. hopefully yours will respond positively. keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by