Hen not doing so good *abnormal poo pictures aswell*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Please, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Please

Please Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    I've got a RIR hen acting extremely down and she's overloading on water and not eating*she's lost a lot of weight in the past few days*
    She's also only a year old *she'll be 2 around May.*
    I do not have a vet to take her to and I'm absolutely not sure what I'm doing.

*I'm not sure if it's egg bound or not but I did give her a warm bath last night*
    Picture of the hen;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few pictures of her poo*it's all white goopy liquid*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

There appears to be something red in the second photo? Possibilities include shed intestinal lining, worms, or maybe she's trying to fight off a case of coccidiosis. Any new birds brought in recently? Have they been dewormed? How does her crop feel?

3. Please

Mar 9, 2013
    I did bring in 2 wyandotte babies around Easter but I had them separated for 4 weeks. I've not dewormed her(or the others) yet since I am low on money, and her crop is just empty and small.

4. Please

Mar 9, 2013
    Here's a better picture of that red stuff
    [​IMG]

5. cafarmgirl

Hard to say what the red stuff is. Is that old feed lying on the ground next to it that could be moldy? If it is, that could be an issue, some mycotoxins can cause the symptoms you describe. If she were my bird I'd probably put her in a hospital cage, keep her warm, offer her plenty of fresh feed, maybe some scrambled or hard boiled egg, meal worms, and watch her for a day. See if she eats, watch her droppings.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you purchase Safeguard liquid goat wormer and worm all your birds. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally to each standard size hen, administer it using a syringe without a needle. Dose all of them once a day for 5 days straight, preferably in early morning before they eat. Shed intestinal lining, drinking alot of water, and your RIR hens shabby feather appearance is a sign of capillary worms.
    The Safeguard liquid goat wormer in the 125ml bottle costs about $20 and will last you a long time.

7. Please

Mar 9, 2013
    Oh no it's not old moldy food. I just put some down for her to attempt to eat but all she did was drink.

8. Please

Mar 9, 2013
    Do you know where I can get some of that? Does TSC have it?

9. cafarmgirl

Quote:Should be able to find it at Tractor Supply.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by