Hen not eating, drinking, pooping HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeni1209, Jun 18, 2016.

1. jeni1209

jeni1209 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2015
    Tallahassee Fl
    1 have a 1 1/2 yr old Ameracauna , thought she might be egg bound. Did it all, and after exam she expelled a lot of liquid, what could this be and what next?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might be suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Has she lost weight in her breast area, or does she have any swelling in her lower belly? Check her crop to see if it is hard, puffy, or empty. Heat exhaustion and dehydration are very common in chickens during hot summer weather. If that could be a problem, bring her inside to cool off, place her in a shallow pan of cool water, and give her some electrolytes in her water, or some Gatorade.

3. jeni1209

May 7, 2015
    Tallahassee Fl
    Hi, there is no swelling, crop is empty. She's in the house and I gave her a little electrolytes with vitamins that I got from tsc, she is still good weight. If internal laying what should I do?

4. Emalemma

Emalemma New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    My hens have occasionally gotten heat exausted like this, so if it's hot like it is here, that could be it. The runny poo is how they cool themselves. I recently lost a hen because I didn't catch it in time (I'd been sick, myself, so checked on them less that day.)

Bring her in, cool her off with a cool bath, and drip some electrolytes into her.

If it's not heat... Well, I don't know. Our only bound egg girl was made into dinner, once she couldn't pass an egg, and I've never dealt with internal layers.... Good luck?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she recently been laying eggs? Internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis are very common in hens, and unfortunately there is not much that can be done. Some have done hormone implants or had the hen spayed, but that is not something that most can or want to do. Internal layers can live a few years, but if there is infection, that can shorten the life. Since it may not be that, I would continue to help her get better with supportive treatment. I have one that was on death's door a year ago, but she rallied, and although she lost a lot of weight and she doesn't lay, she enjoys life with her flock everyday.

6. jeni1209

May 7, 2015
    Tallahassee Fl
    Thanks for the help, sadly she passed, and I'm lost to what it was. She was laying. I'm gonna miss my Mandie !!!

7. Emalemma

Emalemma New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    :-(

Im so sorry. It always sucks to lose one, especially when you don't know why.

8. jeni1209

May 7, 2015
    Tallahassee Fl
    Yes it does, and Thank you.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry for your loss. A necropsy performed at home to look at internal organs, for egg binding, crop or gizzard impaction, can help you understand what was going on. Not everyone is comfortsble doing that to a pet, but it is good to learn.

10. jeni1209

May 7, 2015
    Tallahassee Fl
    Thanks so much, I thought about it, it just breaks my heart to see her gone. I had to be to work at 5am and bf was gonna bary her when it got day light. How can u tell if a chicken has a fever or internal infection?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by