hen not eating food

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueberrychickens, Feb 5, 2012.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So I noticed on Friday that June bug (20 mo old BO) was kinda breathing hard w/ beak open & she hadn't been roosting w/ the others @ night for about a week. Still having breathing issue on Sat, so I separated her from the others. Her nostrils & eyes are clear, I don't hear any wheezing or gasping or rattleing going on. Treated her w/ Ivermectin pour on in case she has gapeworm. Set her up in the dining room so I could keep an eye on her. SHe is drinking her electrolyte water but she isn't eating. I tried grapes, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs & french toast. She also has layer pellets too. If I try to hand feed her, she just stares at the food & turns away. ANY suggestings to get her to eat????

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    have you check the condition of her crop? if she's compacted or sour she might not eat

3. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    crop is empty....

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    What do her droppings look like? Are they bright green, runny, any blood? Has she lost much weight? Any odor if you sniff near her beak when its open? Any external parasites (mites and/or lice)? Is there any bad food or water nearby that she could've gotten into?

5. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Her droppings are few but look normal. Didn't smell anything foul yesterday when we looked down her throat for gape worms. No mites or lice. No access to bad food or water. She has lost weight, I can feel her breast bone in comparison to the others in the flock. SHe did have a few nibbles of my left over steak sandwich but has still not eaten much of anything. Not even her meal worms have been touched.

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    There are several things that could be going on. One is that she has an impacted gizzard and she aspirated some fluids which would cause an open mouth breathing but no raspy sound. This usually will happen if the crop has food in it but can happen if they drink a lot (which they may do in this instance). There are viruses (Lymphoid Luekosis for one) that can cause progressive weakness and emaciation, tumors from Marek's in the gut can block food from going through, etc. Does she have a normal comb, or does it have a bluish tinge? Does it appear to be regressing?

Whatever is going on I think its time for a visit to an avian vet. I don't know if you want to do that but diagnosing her with these symptoms is very difficult. Getting some food into her is crucial but if she has a blockage it can make things worse. A little sugar water or prune juice (not too much or it will act as a laxative) may be in order to try to perk her up to see if she'll eat on her own.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

7. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Her comb looks fine, no blue tinge to it. SHe does have electrolyte/vitamin water & she does drink it. I will give the vet a call this am to see if they would look at her. I'm at a loss to what could be wrong w/ her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by