1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen not eating her grain, now really sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crywild, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Crywild

Crywild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Talent, OR
    I have a 3 year old gold sex link hen. She stopped laying about 3 weeks ago. She stopped eating her chicken food 2 weeks ago. Was eating fresh veggies and fruit and drinking well until this morning, now will not eat or drink at all. Comb is dry and has fallen over. Very thin. Never has had raspy breath. No sour smell from crop. Will not stand up this morning. Treated for Cocci 2 weeks ago with Fort Dodge additive to water, treated whole flock (5 total) for 5 days. She would fill her crop with fresh food....but not chicken food for last 2 weeks. I feel so bad for her. Would have posted sooner but she had been eating, drinking and not getting picked on by other 4 chickens.

2. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Have you tried wetting and mashing up her feed? You can mix it with oatmeal and scrambled eggs, and add a bit of honey and yogurt to tempt her. You also might try tuna. (She has been getting enough grit, right? Does her crop feel full?)

3. Crywild

Mar 20, 2009
    Talent, OR
    Thank you for replying. Her crop is empty, I have not felt it full like the other chickens in a couple weeks. I have her at a vet right now, but they are not very familiar with chickens. Sounds like we are going to start with tube feeding her vitamin solution just to get some nutrition and water into her. Any other suggestions are very welcome.

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Worms or external parasites? Being thin it sounds like something is preventing her from taking in/keeping energy up. Vegies are fine but if she is having trouble getting enough food energy filling up on these might be a problem. See if you can get her into some higher energy food like boiled eggs or canned fish.

Sometimes older hens go down hill and there is little to be done though. 3 years is not old, but certainly old enough you can expect more problems with digestion and egg laying equipment.

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    is she egg bound? if she hasn't layed in three weeks perhaps there's something blocking the passage.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello-

I have never heard of Fort Dodge, so I can't say whether that would help or not.......But I would suggest that you give her some vitamins/electrolites in her drinking water, and if she won't drink, then feed it to her with a dropper.

Also, this might sound silly but does she feel hot to the touch? This could be some kind of fever/infection and you should really use the big guns "Tylan", which is expensive, but it can bring a chicken back from an illness.......

And truly, I am guessing, because with chickens, you can only do your best......Just letting you know what I would do.....

Good luck to you,

Sharon

7. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    It's interesting that she stopped eating her feed, but still had an appetite for other things. I'm wondering if there is something that makes it painful or difficult for her to eat harder things, and the rest could be a result of poor nutrition. I hope she rallies and you can get to the bottom of it soon! [​IMG]

8. Crywild

Mar 20, 2009
    Talent, OR
    She does feel very hot. What is the normal temp for a chicken? She is at the vet right now. Has been tube fed and is still alive. laying on her side breathing deeply. Sulmet by Fort Dodge Animal Health was the name of the coccdia treatment I used 2 weeks ago. The vet does have Tylan in powder form. Dosing instructions?

9. Crywild

Mar 20, 2009
    Talent, OR
    she passed away.

10. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Oh no [​IMG] I'm so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by