1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen not eating/moving, large yellowish wound on her back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maustin89, Nov 15, 2014.

1. maustin89

maustin89 New Egg

Nov 15, 2014
    I discovered a strange wound a little smaller than silver dollar on the middle of a hen's back, it's yellow & gelatinous-looking and smells pretty rank. I don't know when or how she was injured, I see no obvious cut or evidence of blood, it's just a broad, flat gooey-looking area that the feathers have all sloughed off from. I found it earlier today; she seemed fine on Thursday, but stopped eating yesterday and has been almost completely inert since then; did eat a little yogurt and been drinking a bit on her own today. (Also, just ate a bit of boiled egg right before I posted this!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I've done:
    Brought her inside, put her in a box of litter under a heat lamp. (We're in Florida though, not sure it's necessary?) Cut feathers away to expose the area, rinsed with warm water and hydrogen peroxide (didn't fizz at all), applied triple antibiotic ointment. Crushed aspirin into her water for pain relief, have yogurt & boiled egg standing by in a dish. She's barely moved at all since I brought her in, has little interest in eating, but does seem alert and drinks when offered water.

Questions:
    - Any insight into what I'm looking at, or what could've caused it?

- What else can I do for her? Should I attempt to scrape off the goop from the area? Should I get something better than hydrogen peroxide for rinsing, like betadine or saline? The only antibiotic I have on hand is Tylan 50, does that have application in a case like this?

- Is this wound alone enough to cause her to stop eating & moving? From discomfort/pain/general distress? Could there be something else going on that I should be checking for?

Appreciate any insight and input from you long-time chicken people. :) I've been reading BYC for a while now without participating, sorry to make my first post here a blatant plea for advice. Thanks all!

Other info in case it's useful:
    She's about 10 months old, no other health issues 'til now, has been laying well. Dusted the flock for mites about 1-2 months ago, just finished a course of Safeguard dewormer a few days ago. Everyone else seems fine.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You seem to be doing all you can...good for you! I would recommend, however, after cleaning again, spray that wound with Vetericyn Spray...it's a miracle worker on treating wounds!
    [​IMG]
    I wish you all the best and hope for a quick recovery of your girl! [​IMG]

3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    It looks like something grabbed her, tore her flesh, and then an infection set in. Yes an infected wound would keep her from eating, moving, and eventually kill her without treatment.
    The spray is a good tip and a must have to have around!
    Clean the wound several times a day and if you can't get any Vetericyn, aply a non-pain reliver anti-bacterial ointment.
    I would definitely give her anit-biotics that you have.
    It also might be a good idea to give her some electrolytes in the water. They help with shock and a number of other things and never hurt!

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. maustin89

maustin89 New Egg

Nov 15, 2014
    Thank you both for your advice and encouragement <3 I think you're right that it's the infection kicking her *** more than anything. She's had two bright green poops, one yesterday and one this morning, which is very worrying. :( But she's still eating and drinking and seems strong, so I'm optimistic. I'll get some electrolytes for her water and also the Vetericyn.

[​IMG]

5. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Eating and drinking is always a positive sign. Hopefully she pulls through

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Peroxide can also be used to flush wound. Yes many vets still use peroxide.

Green poop is from not eating.

7. maustin89

maustin89 New Egg

Nov 15, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I just went and read a few threads about it, and someone mentioned that the green color comes from bile. It's comforting to know that it's probably from not eating, rather than a larger internal infection or something.

Peaches is thankfully no worse -- still alert, and eating/drinking small amounts of food and water on her own. The wound still looks pretty awful though.. but I'm hopeful. c:

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have a local vet who could give you an antibiotic such as Clavamox? I would cleanse the wound twice a day with betadine or hibiclens, and apply plain antibiotic ointment. The Vetericyn is also good if you have that. The peroxide works well undiluted for the first or second cleaning, but I would use something thereafter. Scrambled eggs, canned tuna, or ground meat may entice her to eat after you get her to take fluids. Good luck. Keep away from flies if it is warm where you live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by