Hen not eating?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nemisis, Jun 19, 2016.

1. nemisis

nemisis Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2012
    Need help, I have a hen that hatched only one chick 2 weeks ago(not a very active rooster lol). She isn't eating, tried bread, egg , she just keeps trying to feed her chick but won't eat herself. She did eat some cracked corn this morning but keeps trying to feed it to her chick & it can't have it. Her crop is completely empty, not pooping but I figure she won't poop cause she doesn't eat. Don't know what to do, don't want to loose her. Any help would be appreciated as I'm out to ideas to try to get her to eat & don't want to separate her from her 1 chick to see if she would eat with the flock.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Are you providing starter feed for her and her chick?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you place her and the chick in a crate inside your coop, and leave the door open for them to go out and be with the flock? She will protect the chick from others, unless she is sick. Look her over for mites, lice, check her crop for impaction. She may have lost weight and become weak from being broody. Put some SaveAChick in their water. If she doesn't start eating when she and the chick are with the flock, then you may need to raise the chick yourself in a brooder.

4. nemisis

Jul 6, 2012
    yes, they have medicated starter feed.

5. nemisis

Jul 6, 2012
    They can go out in a pen next to he flock so they see the others everyday, you think mixing right in with the flock would make a difference? If she had an impacted crop would her crop be empty? It is so empty I can't even find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by