Hen not eating

madiechan

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
Hi there, was looking for some advice. We have a nearly 1 year old hen who has generally just been a bit of a pest for her short life! We've had issues like her not perching, sour crop and worms. She's been off lay over the winter and hasn't yet resumed.

Now she's not eating. There doesn't seem to be any bullying (we have multiple feeders and waters as well). She was recently (1 month ago) wormed, has also (last week) finished spot on for mite prevention,
No impaction her crop is flat, we have a choice of pellets or mash, we completely stopped treats other than greens (they're penned at the moment because of birdflu so trying to replace the grazing they'd normally get). Poo seems to have been ok up until yesterday where we got some green poos.
She's not hiding away, she's never been great at grooming but she's doing what she always has done. And is still putting about the run
we have two other hens who are glossy, healthy, laying and alert.
We have a hen tonic in the water, with multivitamins and garlic.
Just at a bit of a loss, we don't have a hen specific vet (our local vet will happily prescribe the regular worming/mite treatments but is at a bit of a loss when it's not something straight forward)

Thanks in advance

She's egg bound with "something"else going on, but obviously the egg binding takes precedence. Unfortunately the egg appears to have ruptured, 2 vets tried to remove it but no luck...
They've given her some anti inflammatory meds, fluids calcium and antibiotics so now we just wait. She's had an Epsom salt bath as well.

She's egg bound with "something"else going on, but obviously the egg binding takes precedence. Unfortunately the egg appears to have ruptured, 2 vets tried to remove it but no luck...
They've given her some anti inflammatory meds, fluids calcium and antibiotics so now we just wait. She's had an Epsom salt bath as well.
I’m not sure what the vets are going to try to do, but if they can’t get the egg out then it will get infected. Other than waiting on the vets to see what they do (I’m sorry) I don’t have a lot of hope. But I hope they can help her.
Update us soon! :)

Pest is now at the vet she started walking oddly and straining. Will update if the vet figures out what's up
And the signs of being egg bound are; a penguin-like stance- walking weird, straining, poop on the vent. When she’s egg-bound she can’t poop and that’s bad. Her abdomen will feel odd (compare to flock members) like there is an egg stuck in there. An epsom salt bath does help, and trying to massage the area helps, but the number one thing not to do is break the egg inside of her.

I’m not sure what the vets are going to try to do, but if they can’t get the egg out then it will get infected. Other than waiting on the vets to see what they do (I’m sorry) I don’t have a lot of hope. But I hope they can help her.
Update us soon! :)
The vet said that as she's still trying to push the egg out it's worth a shot. We know it's not a great prospective especially as the vet accidentally ruptured the egg... They're hoping that the anti inflammatories and the calcium will help her shift it and then we can treat what they think is a resp infection

The vet said that as she's still trying to push the egg out it's worth a shot. We know it's not a great prospective especially as the vet accidentally ruptured the egg... They're hoping that the anti inflammatories and the calcium will help her shift it and then we can treat what they think is a resp infection
They think she has a respiratory infection? Have you noticed symptoms of anything?

Generally being a bit off colour, and a little bit of sneezing that we attributed to her reacting to the dust (it's been dry and dusty here lately). But apparently her lungs are a bit rattly

unfortunately the vet managed to remove the egg, and what appeared to be a lash egg behind it. But there was a massive tumour in her duct which is what caused the blockage. So Hazel has gone to the mealworm fields in the sky. Thank you for your help and support!

Back
Top Bottom